Reflection

When we first met with the museum on one of the first days of class, we did not expect to be able to produce so much work. We had the baseline thought that we would create an updated 360 tour of the James Monroe Museum. The project quickly became much more expansive.

Before we started filming, we all went to the James Monroe Museum. Some of us had never been before and had only seen glimpses of the museum through the previous 360 tour. The second time we went Lesya filmed most of the artifact videos while I took the 360 pictures in each room. We made sure to go right before closing, so fewer visitors would be affected. For the 360 tour I didn’t want to have anyone in the shots, so we decided to go film later in the day.

The 360 pictures were finished, and we still needed a little bit more footage for the artifact videos. The next week, we went back to finish filming. At this point we realised that we could finish a lot more of our stretch goals from our contract than we previously thought. The 360 tour was the looming project that we were all nervous about, and it was relieving to have filmed it so quickly. We still had to work through how we were going to host them with the hotspots for free, but we were feeling really optimistic.

We expected artifact videos to take less time than the 360 videos. Filming and editing video content was a thing that most of us knew how to do, so we thought we could breeze through it. The museum sent us information on each artifact, which we turned into a comprehensive script. We wanted the videos to all be under two minutes, so we made sure to time ourselves reading the lines and cutting down the information accordingly. The museum also sent us music to use for the videos from the James Monroe CD.

The hitch came after filming and creating the script. We asked the speaking center to help us out and read some of the scripts for the artifact videos. The students at the speaking center became too busy, and were not able to help us out. This was okay, but it put a hitch in our contract timeline. Instead Sarah, Emily, and Lesya did the voiceovers.

The distribution of labor was equal. I took the 360 photos, spliced them together, and edited four of the artifact videos. Lesya filmed the majority of the artifact videos and worked on hotspots, worked on voiceovers, and edited two artifact videos. Kasey created the website and edited two artifact videos. Emily was our main person in contact with the museum. She also made sure that the site was accessible, did some of the voiceovers, and worked on two artifact videos, and created the Timeline. Sarah worked on research and created the Storymap and edited the Timeline. Sarah also worked on voiceovers and did the closed captioning for all of the videos.

We all ended up working really well together, and dividing up the labor really well. Although it wasn’t listed specifically, we all helped out for filming, website creation, and photo taking. It truly is a special project and we are all proud to have produced this for the museum to use however they want.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *